My blog has moved!

This blog is no longer being maintained on Blogger. Please check out my new, streamlined site @ www.mixedmayhemstudios.com.

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Faux Dichroic Glass

My First Faux Dichroic Glass Cab
I would just like to say that I totaaaally adore my friend in Germany for sharing this tutorial with me the other day. It is so... so fun to play with. I've made a whole mess of these ickle gems. It also gives me good reason to buy glass cabochons I had been mulling over. I had actually meant to post this blog entry some days ago, but between weather woes, work, and being sick I've managed to let blogging go to the wayside. Even when I'm quiet here, I can promise you I'm pretty much never quiet on Twitter. Go figure, right?

Anyhow. I'm pretty darn pleased with how my cabochons have turned out so far. They are going to make for very interesting focal points. I made several of them as you can see from the photos but the first one I made that's show in the top left photo is by far my favorite. It also looks the most dichoric-like instead of just sparkle pretty something generic. I did also discover while playing with my various color of nail polish that opaque colors that have no shimmer are a big NO. They look terrible.

Faux Dichroic Glass Everywhere!
But there's this wonderful thing called fingernail polish remover that came to my rescue when I made something that looked atrocious. No need to throw out a perfectly good glass pebble over ugly colors, I say.

I didn't take a picture of it, but I even kind of like how the silver backs look. I want to find some metallic gold fingernail polish to put on the backs of some of the warmer colors, though. Mostly for aesthetic reasons as I think I'd like to try to wire wrap some of these. Would look a bit odd to me to have a silver back and gold/copper wire, but that's just me being nitpicky.

Faux Dichroic Glass In Pendant Setting
Also, in the image to the right I took an opaque sky blue pebble and coated it in sparkly nail polish. Not sure if I like it or not. It's pretty, but it ... also looks kind of cheap in my opinion. Not quite something I'm willing to work with.

But that favorite cab of mine? Wow does it look great in a setting! I happen to be in possession of some old chain and settings that used to belong to my mother. Most of it is from the early 90s which she gave to me in 2004 I suppose? She was getting rid of her costume jewelry to make room for her good jewelry, and I offered to take it off her hands so I could dismantle it and use it with my polymer clay. Handy thing that I held on to that stuff. That pendant used to have a fake acrylic pearl in the center. I think the faux dichroic glass is a vast improvement, to say the least.

Haven't quite decided what sort of necklace to make out of that pendant, but when I make up my mind I'll surely have WIPs posted here.  :)

1 comment:

  1. Baw, now see what early shifts combined with stomach flu did to me, I totally missed out on this post. Shame on me.

    These turned out so nice, and I'll definitely stock up on nail polish now, bwahahahah. Your pics give me a good idea what color combinations would work for me.

    Also, wouldn't you know it? When I ventured into the basement to fetch my crimp pliers from there, I also happened to come across a box stuffed with tiffany glass supplies from way back when. There's 18mm and 25mm glass cabs in there too~! I completely forgot I had these ... ♥

    ReplyDelete