My blog has moved!

This blog is no longer being maintained on Blogger. Please check out my new, streamlined site @ www.mixedmayhemstudios.com.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Good, Bad, and Plenty of Rain

ENGLISH SUMMER  - Rain and Cloud - NECKLACE
English Summer Rain and Cloud Necklace by MIXKO
I have my good days, and my bad days as most people do. I got to thinking about this, because yesterday had the overwhelming potential to be utterly terrible. But it wasn't.

Here's what happened:

I arrived to the train station as usual, on time, without much fuss. It was raining, which wasn't too big a deal. It meant driving more carefully since the roads were slick, but not really an issue. I also brought my umbrella, and I carry a small fleece blanket with me for napping on the train and keeping warm at work.

Settled into my seat, I'm ready to go to work. Alas, the train itself had other ideas. There were some mechanical issues with the running lights, which meant that the train could not go faster than 20mph. Not so great.

Rainbow umbrellas = awesome.
Finally, we arrive at my first stop to hop on the rail. It's still raining, and it's quite cold. The bad news this time is that the line I need to take isn't what rolls to a stop in front of me. I hop on the light rail anyway and ride it as far as I can if only to escape the cold and rain for a few minutes.


Cue waiting for another 20 minutes in the dark and cold for the right light rain to take me to my final stop. It arrives, I hop off at the correct stop, and trudge along in my 15 minute walk to the office in the rain wishing I had worn better shoes. I also kind of wished I owned better shoes. I am very envious of all you ladies I saw yesterday who had fashionable, rubber boots. I think I need to invest in a pair!

And a bigger umbrella. A rainbow one, perhaps?

Anyhow, I finally make it to work about 30 minutes later than usual. Not so big a deal, but my canvas mary jane shoes are officially soaked. I take them off and stuff them with paper towels to try and soak up as much moisture as I can, and wiggle my way under my blanket while sitting at my desk to keep warm.

It was a rough start to an early Monday morning, but manageable. The rest of the day proceeds as it generally always does, and thankfully the rail and train home didn't have any issues. The unpleasant part was being really, really cold due to icky, soaked shoes.

What's funny about this to me is that I wore the same pair of shoes in a rainstorm some weeks ago walking to the rail stop after work. I just barely managed to get them wet. I really wonder how I managed that given how icky it was yesterday walking in shoes that were squirmy, squishy, and wet.

It really wasn't the worst day, but had I been in a darker mood, I'd have made it so much worse all on my own. I'm glad I managed to stay positive through the entire thing. Though I have to admit, it did help that when I got home my mom had already started dinner which made the apartment smell delicious. Plus, I have a cuddly warm dog and fuzzy socks to snuggle up on the couch with.

At least for a little while. There was much work to be done! I still haven't successfully worked with those purple beads. I tinkered last night while listening in on a webcast, but the results were less than stellar. I actually ended up un-doing the entire little flower I wove as, well… it was less of a flower and much more of a mess.

Here's to staying positive and looking on the bright side of things. I think today I ought to make a rainbow-something.

Much love!

No comments:

Post a Comment